Sludacris

Sludacris

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

One Less Thing

Michael just had a line taken out of his neck area that was used for the plasma transfers. It was a source of irritation and worry, so to have it gone is one less thing. It also was a source of an infection that Michael has had for a couple of days, so it had to come out. We will now be able to free his hands up much more and I know that will really help his progress.

We are at a crossroads with his treatment. He has had tests results come back with negatives for HSV and NMD, so what is left is to have another Lumbar puncture to check for stuff in his spinal fluids. If they come back in the normal range then we are set for therapy and rehab. If out of normal, then I am not sure where we go. One thing I have learned is that this is not an exact science and you take each situation as it comes.

At any rate, Michael is alert and aware. Doesn't sound like a lot, but today we had him up for an hour or two and he said his name and a couple of other words. It tells me that there is someone in there that is fighting to get out. Also, the hospital has multiple therapies coming and going, which we welcome. They actually come down from the rehab center upstairs and spend time with Michael. We are working on getting him eating and walking and other basics. It makes for busy days for Michael but he is really responding to the stimulation.

Kinda funny last night as Michael and I got into a wing chun battle with our hands. He kept pushing my hands away and I would push back. He would twirl his wrists and move my hands and I would do it back. We did that for about 30 minutes and it was fun.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lot and we celebrate every step with you! xxxooo Doug and Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending all hope and prayers from BWI. Your SWA family is with you always....

    Michael & Shelly Navarro

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you, but I've spent the past several hours reading your story after seeing this blog on a friend's page. You all are truly inspirational and courageous. My family will pray for yours. With love from White House...The Burkeys

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have our hopes and prayers, If we can do anything just ask.
    Mark and Denise Cheney

    ReplyDelete