Sludacris

Sludacris

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ups and Downs

We're never quite sure what to expect when we step off the elevator onto the 6th floor. [Rehab] Everyone there is struggling with some sort of brain trauma. Michael is most definitely giving the whole staff a run for thier money-literally! His energy level seems to be endless these days, so he walks and walks and walks...the poor floor coordinator,who happens to love Michael, tells him shes going to lose tons of weight following him around. She says "Lord Michael, your going to give me a heart attack!" She is wonderful with him. He is usually friendly with the staff, handing out hugs and smiles, but a couple times a day he has what we call an episode. We are told that when the brain is healing, and the awareness of a person's situation increases, so too does the agitation and anger. When this happens, it takes at least 5 men to get him under control enough to administer his meds. I'm amazed because he only weighs 135 lbs. As his mom, it is very difficult to watch this so I just find a corner and have a good cry. I know he is getting better every day, and that sustains me. I usually show up around 11:00 so we can have lunch together. Mike comes at 4:00 and spends the whole evening with him. The hardest momentfor Mike is when he has to tell Michael he can't come home with him yet. Sometimes Michael tears up and it is heartbreaking! Today I sat in his bed with him after an episode and talked to him,explaining everything once again. He looked at me with tears in his eyes and so I held him while he cried. The frustration for him must be overwhelming. I love that boy so much...I wish I could trade places with him. I've even prayed for that but no answer yet. I ask the question often "Why Michael God, our sweet, gentle son? I don't believe I'll ever get a satisfactory answer to that question. I look forward to the day when he consistently knows that I'm mom. Thank-you to all of you for your emails, cards, help, and words of encouragement. We do so appreciate it. Hold your loved ones close and tell them how you feel. Rosi [Mom]

6 comments:

  1. Sending lots of love and prayers.
    Aunt Roma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continually praying for all of you. If we can help let us know..Larry & Marti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike and I are praying for all of you and hope this nightmare is over soon and Michael will come home soon! We do believe in miracles ... God is awesome and works in ways we will never understand.

    May God bless your family!!!!

    Mike and Marj Deason

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pray, believing.
    Act on your faith and go forward.
    God is always with you.
    Love is always the answer.

    God sent me this message a few days ago through a new friend (whom I've never met, but have corresponded with about a donation I'm trying to make). I'll send it on to you - along with prayers for Michael and your family.

    Cyndi Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your sweet family are in my prayers! I know you will bounce back Michael!

    "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

    Ashley Townsend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. Sluder,
    I know your son. I was never really close to him but he was always so sweet. I'm a mother now of two little boys and when I read this I just started crying. I can't imagine your pain and what your family is going through. I just want to tell you that praying is not the only thing you should do. God WILL heal Michael. Claim it! Keep trusting God and believing in His power, goodness, and faithfulness! I will keep praying for your family and that God will fill you all with strength!

    Gihe

    ReplyDelete