Sludacris

Sludacris

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Big D

Michael took us on a new phase of his journey today. He flew with me to Dallas and checked into his rehab facility. He made new friends and is beginning his return to our loved friend and family member.
He had a first today in that he got to ride in a Beechcraft Baron from Nashville's Tune Airport to Dallas, courtesy of my good friend Bob Owsley. Rosi and Coop saw us off and watched us disappear westbound. Another good friend of mine, Karsten, was with us in the plane for support. It was a great 3 hour flight. Michael inspected everything in the back seat and enjoyed the view. He also slept for the last hour or so, but seemed to enjoy the ride OK.
In Dallas, we took Michael to his new home for the next few months. It is a top notch facility and the folks are caring. We did a quick walk through and evaluation, and then went over to Michael's apartment. There was a fully stocked fridge and there are attendants who will be with him 24/7. He is in good hands.
I had mixed feelings. I know this is the best thing for him, but I want to hold him close and protect him. Luckily I had my friends with me to help me through this.
The best thing the folks at the rehab center told me is that I should not judge the final outcome for Michael based on what I am seeing now. His brain is still not over the trauma it experienced and the healing is just now beginning. They will get him into a rhythm of life, therapy, and sleep to allow him to heal and get as far back as God will take him. They gave me hope, which has been in short supply lately.
I am exhausted so I am going to sign off now. But I know many were waiting for news on how the day went. It went well, Michael is exactly where he needs to be.

2 comments:

  1. I know that you are both mentally and physically exhausted. All of the pieces seem to have fallen into place. Thinking of you 24/7... Love y'all<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this Mike, I pray he continues to heal, and have all the faith in the world that he will. Take care of your self through this as well. Melissa

    ReplyDelete