Sludacris

Sludacris

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Night shift update.

Tonight has been a mixed bag for the Sludog Millionaire. The good news is that Michael has been as coherent as I've seen him to date. He still can't articulate more than a simple phrase or two, but he's able to converse in a more focused, deliberate manner. Several times he's woke up to find me looking at him and asked, "what's up?" or "what're you doing?" in his natural tone. He asked me if "is any way to turn these off (pointing at the lights above him)." When I asked if I could keep one side light on (so I could keep an eye on him or navigate him to the restroom) he replied "yeah, that's fine." This back-and-forth is definitely progress. There is also more focus in his eyes which seems to indicate an increased awareness.

The bad news is that he seems to be suffering from a killer headache. He also managed to express concern that he might get sick (not in those words), so I had the nurse give him some Tylenol and anti-nausea medicine. He's been sleeping for the most part since then. I plan on speaking with the doctor tomorrow to see if he can prescribe something stronger just in case the pain persists.

All in all, tonight was far better than last night, when Michael was determined to remove his IV and became quite angry when I physically prevented him from doing so. I'm always careful about thinking that we've turned a corner since there has been a good deal of two-steps forward then one-step back from the beginning. However, progress is progress, and from what I can tell he is heading in the right direction. The most important thing is that he keeps moving until he reaches the finish line.

The Sluder family will be spending Christmas in Emory University Hospital, and we've greatly appreciated everyone's interest and support throughout this ordeal. I would like wish everyone a merry Christmas, and encourage all to try to experience a greater level of love and appreciation for those who are close to us this holiday season. I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment